Wednesday, July 7, 2010

He's waiting for Me

This is a re-post of a Facebook Note my wife posted on Marcus' birthday last year.

When Marcus was about three years old his day care center held a talent show. Marcus wanted to sing something but he didn't know what song. I thought about "Richard Marx's, Right Here Waiting (for you)". We had practiced for a few weeks before it was time to sing in front of the other children and their parents.

On the day of the show, right before we were to go on, he said to me "Mommy, I can't sing in front of all those people!” I told him "Just look at me. Straight into my eyes. Nowhere else. Just look at me as if no one else is there. Just like we did when we were practicing all alone at home.”

We went on stage and the music started, he looked around and tried to sing. He was so scared, he froze. I asked if they would start it over and they did. I took him by the chin and held his tiny face towards mine for a few seconds. Once we started singing to each other it was as if no one else did exist. We were in fact by ourselves. When we finished the song, he was so proud. He did it. He made it through. WE made it through.

Ever since then whenever he would hear that song he would call me and say "Listen, do you hear this?" Sometimes he would be crying just a little and other times I could detect a crack in his voice. I knew he was holding back tears.

Whenever I would hear the song I would call him and sing to him. Most of the time he would listen. Sometimes he would sing with me. But other times, when he was with other people, he would whisper "Don't make me cry right now!”

One day he was in Wal-Mart and the song came on. Of course he called me. Then later he found out there was a sample display that had a snippet of the song on it. Ashley (an ex-girlfriend) said everytime they went to Wal-Mart he would go by the display, press the button and smile.

Restland said I could have it played at his funeral. I sang it to him one last time.

A few months after the funeral Alex went to the dentist. He didn't want to go but he went anyway. While in the waiting room the song came on. Alex got up, left the room, and called me crying. "Mom, they're playing his song!" he said. I told him it was Marcus' way of telling him "Everything is OK.". Alex went back in and everything went OK. (Just a tidbit on Marcus, his dentist and staff. Marcus never went for an appointment, he went for a "visit". He never waited in the waiting room. He always went on back and talked to everyone at every station before it was his turn. Even Dr. Proctor...while he was with a patient!)

"Right Here Waiting" is not a song you hear much any more. So now every time I hear the song I know it's Marcus' way of telling me it's OK. He's waiting for me.

Last month my wife and I got the chance to see Richard Marx perform at the Myerson with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. Here is  a video of his performance of "Right Here Waiting"  and a couple of pictures from that night. (If video does not play, click on "facebook" on the upper left corner of the image and it will take you to the video)







No comments:

Post a Comment